Monday, February 22, 2010

In It For The Long Haul

February 22:
So, I’ve been off blog for a while, but I have a good reason. Or maybe I should say that I have a bunch of reasons. Three weeks ago just before Sunday services the District Superintendent (my supervisor) sat in my office and asked me to consider taking a different appointment. In short, I was being asked to move from Fort Atkinson (where I have served for fifteen years) to serve the Church in Elm Grove.

The idea of moving wasn’t really a problem. Of course it would be hard to leave the home where we raised our children and the many friends we have made over the past fifteen years. But, when I decided to go into this line of work I signed up to go where I was sent. I fully expected that one day we would be asked to move to another assignment.

The problem with the whole process was that I was asked to make this move on Sunday, the 31st of January and then I was expected to keep it all a secret until yesterday and we did. But, it was three weeks of not sleeping and not eating well. It would make a great weight loss program if I could figure out some way of synthesizing the constant anxiety.

If you throw into the mix three funerals, one of those for the 22-year-old son of our office manager, a boy I’ve seen grow up for the last fifteen years and you might understand a bit of the tension I was feeling. I was having a hard time even writing in complete sentences. This is not intended to be a “pity party” and I’m not looking for sympathy. I just wanted to clarify the reasons for my silence…and maybe vent a little bit…OK, maybe just a little sympathy.

But, what’s been bothering me beneath the surface of all this tension is that I keep hearing those words in my head, “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God.” Philippians 4:6 (that’s in the New Testament.)

“Be anxious for nothing?” I understand the “prayer and supplication” part. This making “my requests known to God” thing is easy for me. I believe in prayer. I believe it draws me closer to my Lord and gives me the perspective I sometimes desperately need. I want God to hear about my wants and needs. It keeps me open and honest with Him. This I can do.

I get the “with thanksgiving” part. There isn’t anything I have that hasn’t come to me directly from this God who has loved me first. Thanksgiving is fundamental. But, I’ve learned a thing or two about anxiety over these last three weeks and I have been reminded, again, of just how small my faith can be.

So, I guess the bar has just been raised a bit and I have just identified another one of my growing edges. This is a good thing because I do want to grow in my faith. I’ve been reminding my congregation that being a Christian is not a sprint it is a marathon. I am in it for the long haul.

2 comments:

  1. John there is a reason the Lord is sending you to Elm Grove and you know He will reveal it to you soon. Peace my friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back to the blogosphere.

    I have always felt, even more so in recent events, that your faith is truly inspirational. The Lord has done some amazing things with people of 'small' faith (think Gideon), and continues to work through you.

    ReplyDelete