Sunday, April 18, 2010

Fortune Cookie Wisdom

April 18th.
So, my fortune cookie said, “Be calm and collected, peace is a virtue.” To which I replied, (Yes, I’m having a conversation with a cookie) “Peace is a fruit of the Spirit.” I didn’t dig it up from somewhere it is part of the gift of a changed life that Jesus offers those of us who trust Him. My cookie’s only response was an opportunity for me to learn how to say “popcorn” in Chinese. Popcorn?

So, I moved on to my second cookie (they’re small), which said, “You have executive ability. Apply this in the future!” and I found myself saying, “Oh, all right…Hey!” (Which would be a rather obscure “It’s A Wonderful Life” reference.) I’m not sure I like this “mini-cake’s” implication. I didn’t even bother with the lucky numbers.

The third (they’re only 10 calories) said, “You have a flair for adding a fanciful dimension to any story.” We call that the “5th Dimension”, thank you.

The last of my Chinese treats said, “Analyze only when necessary” to which I replied, “It is always necessary.” Being a follower of Jesus means always paying attention to the details of life. Being one of Jesus’ Disciples means I am always analyzing, not only my actions, but also my motivation. Being Christian means always paying attention to the people I meet and to the things that are happening around me. There is no automatic pilot in the Christian life. I need to be introspective and realistic, contemplative and practical. So should we all.

I don’t place much store in fortune cookie fortunes, but they make a decent low cal snack and every once in a while they even make me think. In case you’re wondering the Chinese word for “July” is “qi yue.”

No comments:

Post a Comment